11.30.2007

My Dad


still believes in Santa
taught me how to drive stick
let me play with his art supplies
has an inappropriate sense of humor
made up the best nicknames for his kids
was my softball coach in elementary school
refinished furniture with me to take to college
was one cut-throat racquetball player in his day
shares my obsession with order (that's a good thing)
is reflective enough to change his political views as he ages
makes a mean grilled cheese and tomato soup lunch
went to every one of my Girl Scout square dances
taught me how to eat clams in Nags Head, NC
is the best grandfather a kid could hope for
tells wonderful stories from his childhood
is back at work and on his motorcycle -
no accident can keep him down

Happy Birthday, Dad.
I love you.

14 comments:

Jamie Welsh said...

That made me cry! Happy Birthday Susan's Dad!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Oh your dad sounds positively wonderful!!!!!!! Happy Birthday Mr. Sulu DAD!! hee heeee

mariss said...

How touching, I bet he'll love this! Happy Birthday to your awesome Dad. He sounds like the coolest guy :)

Hip Mama Crafts said...

Happy Birthday Sulu's Dad! Thank you for sharing your Dad with us!

liz elayne said...

what a wonderful tribute to your dad - thanks for sharing this here so we could get to know him just a bit!

kat said...

you know...
they say - judge a man's success not by what he has,or does, but by what his kids say about him to their friends.

I'd say your dad is a pretty darn successful man!

Happy Birthday Susan's dad!

hill road erin said...

happy birthday to your dad!

Robyn said...

Susan, that is so wonderful to hear! What a blessing. I know I don't know him, but please tell him I am so very happy for him.

Sonya said...

Happy Birthday to your dad Susan!

feli said...

owhhhh... that is so sweet! Brought a tear to my eyes.

Happy Birthday Sulu's Dad!!

amisha said...

so beautiful. happy birthday to your dad!!

amandajean said...

awww. happy birthday to your dad! so happy to hear that he has recovered from his motorcyle accident.

Erin said...

Wow, sounds like you have such a wonderul Father Susan. I hope he had a great Birthday.

GUNNY said...

It's been said, but that is touching.

As a dad, I hope my kids will have such fond memories of me some day.

I definitely have some of these same qualities/characteristics, particularly the "inappropriate sense of humor."