10.08.2007

I Don't Write, I Don't Call...

What, there are no phones in Portland?

My recent blog absence - pointed out to me by family and friends (it's only been four days, guys) - is making my mother antsy. The week of Original Intent photos that I recently posted apparently offered little satisfaction. So, to answer questions about where I've been and what's been keeping me away from blogging, I present you with my list of things that have recently taken precedence over sitting at my desk, uploading images to Blogger.

I've been working (at a boutique, for those of you with inquiring minds). I've thought a lot about opening my own store one day, and figured that working in an independently owned shop would give me insight into whether it's really for me or not. I promised myself a break from teaching this year, but may return one day. Don't hold your breath.

We had fabulous house guests last weekend. Estate sales, art shows, tasty Portland restaurants, restaurant openings, and generally laughing our butts off with Traci and Jeff made for an awesome visit.

Barry has started racing in the Cross Crusade, which brought us to the lovely Alpenrose farm yesterday. Spending Sunday mornings sipping a thermos of hot coffee while standing in the amazing Portland light watching Barry race makes me so content. It would be perfect, if only I could find a great bagel in Portland to eat while I cheer.


Speaking of Barry, he's been consistently posting on his photography and found images blogs, which are knocking my socks off.

I participated in an earring swap with Jenny from True Nature in Argentina. This girl's work kills me. Stunning.


I've been cooking a lot, and trying to stick to fall-appropriate meals. This meant making bulgar stuffed squash last night. It's a recipe from one of my all-time favorite food bloggers, Connie at Life, Love, Chocolate. I'm devastated (I'm prone to hyperbole, folks) that she's recently decided to move on from blogging. Her posts added so many tasty yet healthy recipes to my rotation. Thanks, Connie.


I've been meeting up with blog pals and people who contacted me after the Design*Sponge post about our apartment. Yay for new Portland friends!

Oh, yeah... jewelry. I've been working my fingers to the point of blistering, preparing for a trunk show of sorts at Tumbleweed this Thursday (as part of the Alberta Street Fashion by Flashlight evening), and getting shipments together for Site and Loveday 31, both in Astoria, Queens, as well as for a new shop, soon be announced. I also updated the sulu-design etsy shop last week. If you want to hear about those updates when they happen, don't forget to e-mail me at sulu-design@hotmail.com and put "mailing list update" in the subject line.

I hope your days have been as fun-filled as mine. And if you don't hear from me in a while, know that I'm loving life... and will be back to post about it soon.

29 comments:

linda p said...

have fun living life! blogging regularly is -work-. Sometimes non-bloggers forget that. :)

working at a boutique actually sounds kind of fun. i still need some other part time job, so i'll have to keep that in mind. let us know how it goes!

kat said...

Sounds like life is good + you are happy :) Enjoy it!

true nature said...

your own shop! what a dream, i like the idea of test-driving it first, :)

i wore your earrings the other day, compliments galore. <3

besitos!
jenny

erin said...

sounds like it is all going well for you, susan! enjoy!

Robyn said...

That is what I love to hear! I'm am so happy you two are doing so well. :0)

michelle said...

Ohhow fun, it shounds like what you are doing is way more fun that uploading photos to blogger, life moves us in all sorts of different directions and you just gotta go with the flow, and that you do, more power to you!

capello said...

whew. you've been busy.

it beats the pants off my i'm-not-posting-cuz-i'm-sick excuse.

hey-yyyy said...

you can't leave us for days on end! what will us poor saps sitting at a computer all day do with ourselves!? just kidding - enjoy every bit of it and I will vicariously be dreaming of what you are up to when we don't hear from you.

Karin said...

Sounds like you had a very nice weekend! Good for you!
Thanks for your very sweet comment in my blog.

Mim said...

I'm happy that your blog link was sent to me by Mike (you pa-in-law.) the idea of photo to jewelry is terrific. I'm going to enjoy viewing your archives.

maritza said...

I am so happy to hear that you are busy and enjoying life and Portland. :)

amandajean said...

hey, we'll hang around til you get a chance to post. :) sounds like your time there is full and wonderful. I am so glad to hear it.

if you are looking for another fabulous foodie link, check out:
http://countrygirlcityliving.blogspot.com/ Lindsay is great. she has helped me many times over with that never ending question "what on earth are we going to have for dinner." and she seems as sweet as can be.

andrea (scout) said...

although i have suddenly come down with some killer fall flu thing, i won't be able to resist paying a visit to tumbleweed on thursday night. can't wait to say hi! (i'll be the one with the box of tissues)

your weekend sounds marvelous. can't wait to try cava.

feli said...

Wow... you sound so busy. :*)

All these crafty people in Portland. Makes me want to move all the way there just to soak it all up. It must be something in the Water.

ambika said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Your photos are lovely--especially the bicycle. And lucky you--Jenny is an amazing artist and those earrings look fantastic.

lottie said...

what a post from the heart! far better that you're out there living life than sat inside writing about it. occasional updates will be much anticipated, though!

Mom said...

Dear Suzy,

College was closed yesterday as the power had to be turned off on campus for work. Yippee for 4 day work weeks! But also meant that I had to wait until today to read your blog!

Good grief, had no idea about what that Cross Crusade was all about! Would like to see a picture of Barry after that race - saw that he was #200 but couldn't tell how he placed in the race. Did look at his photographs, he picks perfect quotes to go with the pictures. (Recognized our family room floor and sewing machine legs' shot in the other photos)!

Dad rode the bike Saturday and Sunday - looking good - and needs to get a new helmet which I think he'll do tomorrow. Crazy warm weather in Cleveland which is supposed to change by tomorrow, but perfect for riding the motorcyle!

Portland written up again in the Cleveland paper yesterday, talked about how they have redeveloped the urban area to stop the spread to the suburbs. (Do remember though, we have excellent bagels in Cleveland!)

Have a great week, sounds like everything is going wonderfully well! Am so pleased, happy and proud of both of you! Love, Mom

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I'm just soooooo happy for you. I think I am about to write a similar post- lots of life stuff happening + getting ready for the next round of shows.

Lynn said...

I'm glad to hear your life in portland has been busy and fun!

Erin said...

Susan I am so happy how well your moved has turned out. You and Barry took such a chance moving and it really worked out. I am so happy for you! You deserve it.

Thanks for the update, it's great to hear what you have been up to. Even if it does make me seem like a complete slacker when I read it :o)

A Fanciful Twist said...

Oh my!! You are swamped, busy bee you!!! And your home!! I adore it.. Congrats on DesignSponge!! Fab!! xxo

Sarah said...

Sounds like your mom and my mom would be great friends... :o)

Sonya said...

The way that I like thinking about it is that you help make my bloglines not so scary when I am scarce myself. Take care, sounds like you are having a great time in your new city.

shy_smiley said...

I've never tried retail myself but before I taught preschool I'd never much considered working with kids, either. Funny how life leads you... lately I've been thinking about a part-time job at Trader Joe's. The employees there always seem to be having a good time and seem to be an unlikely but harmonious mix from all demographics. Plus you get to talk to adults all day.

amisha said...

so so happy that things are going so well in portland... it all sounds wonderful. friends, good food, time outdoors... ahhh.
so not to rub it in, but what is your fave bagel place here? :)
good luck with the trunk show!
xox

laundrygirl said...

I laughed when I read the title of this post. Sounds like you have simply been busy and doing your own thing! Good for you! Fall seems to be a time when people hibernate a bit so although I love reading your posts I understand...

casey said...

Sounds like you have been a busy, busy gal!! :) Hope that trunk show goes super-duper well for you! :)

traci said...

we had so much fun susan... hopefully we'll be back soon enough. i had no idea barry was so hardcore. dude! ok, i couldn't help that one. he he.

Chickenbells said...

Congrats on the new job! The squash looks good enough to eat...oh wait...someone already did!