10.30.2007

Good Eatin' Round These Parts

The kitchen in our Portland apartment is a good deal larger than the one we had in New York. Maybe that explains whey Barry is spending so much time in it. He's made some amazing dishes recently, including this really tasty trout, and a birthday cake that makes me shudder just thinking about how deliciously rich it was. I've been spending some time in the kitchen myself, but it's often as I'm dashing from one place to another. My mom recently forwarded me this recipe for Chickpea Potato Curry from Hands-Off Cooking: Low-Supervision, High-Flavor Meals for Busy People. It was quick and simple, and perfect for the fall weather that we've been experiencing for quite some time here in the Pacific Northwest.

2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
One 14 1/2-ounce can stewed tomatoes
One 4-ounce can of diced green chilies
6 baby Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 ounces), quartered
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1-2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large pot, combine the broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, potatoes, onion, butter, ginger, 1 teaspoon of salt, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Stir to mix. Set the pot, uncovered, over medium heat. Simmer vigorously for about 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add more salt to taste. Serve the curry in bowls over Jasmine rice.

7 comments:

mariss said...

How funny. I was delaying leaving work to go to the grocery, until I found something that looked inspiring. Thanks, Susan (or I guess I should thank your mom!)

Chickenbells said...

I just love the food posts...although, I'm at the shop so...there's not a lot I can do about it at the moment...

Village Vegan said...

That curry looks so yummy and easy. Perfect for crisp autumn days...I'll have to try it sometime!

Gloria said...

Yum! Looks good! I love chickpeas - and FINALLY, the weather in LA is cooling down enough to have such dishes.

Lesley said...

Ooh yes, comfort food is what we need at this time of year. Your mum is lovely. :-)

abby said...

that cookbook sounds amazing!
my diet has gone downhill lately, its basically vepadoes and corn chips. i think i need that book!

Andrea (scout) said...

oh i am sooo making this one. perfect for the foggy chill of late. (it would also be really nice to beat my husband in a curry cook-off for once...)

i hope you've been well, my dear. i feel terrible that i never got the chance to wish you a happy birthday before i left, but i hope that we'll have the chance to go for belated birthday drinks soon. :)