9.16.2007

The Opposite Of Blue

Wonderful suggestions from you, dear friends, along with a fabulous event-filled weekend has indeed shaken me from my blues. Thanks for your kind words of support while I'm on the roller coaster that is moving across the country with no preplanned job. Things seem to be working themselves out... more on that to come. For now, I'd like to revel in the giddy happiness that was my weekend. Thanks for playing along. It all started with the arrival of the sweetest package from my sister-in-law, Jennifer:


Cinnabar? And fish? Oh, joy!

More love came in the mail when I happened across a little feature on my old neighborhood, Astoria, Queens, in September's Lucky Magazine. Site and Loveday 31 (see my sidebar), two wonderful shops that both carry sulu-designs, were mentioned. Yea, Queens!

And while sulu-design earrings were not the hit I'd hoped they'd be at the Alberta Street Fair, my set-up there allowed me to spend Saturday hanging out with one amazing group of women, from the staff at Tumbleweed and Grasshopper (including the lovely Abby), to blog friends who stopped by, like Laurie and Andrea. And with the support of my good friends Holly and Mike, I barely noticed the... um... not-so-stellar sales.

Things got even better on Sunday, when Barry competed in his first trail half-marathon and smoked it. Seriously, I think he even surprised himself with his awesome finish time. Our crisp day in Mount Hood National Forest was followed with a big dinner of my mom's special recipe Italian sausage and peppers - the perfect way to end my un-blue weekend. I hope your weekends were filled with bright spots, too. Another one comes again in five days!

(Being water girl is hard but rewarding work.)

16 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh, I'm glad you had such a good weekend, despite the lackluster sales. I think in a new market where people don't really know you, it can take a bit. But I can see your earrings taking off really soon.

The Lenart's said...

I am so glad you had a great weekend. I hope this great weekend is showing what future is bringing. Only good.
Like before my race my favorite song came on the radio. I knew I am going to have a great time.

kat said...

Shows are really tricky. I don't think anyone has stellar sales initially... i think overtime it builds. You will get there!

Glad you had a great weekend though :) Friends, family + your husband kicking butt, priceless :) Congrats to Barry!

maritza said...

I am so happy to hear that you had a great weekend and that it has made the blues begone. Sounds like the fair was worth it. It's just as important to make your presence known and to make connections within your local crafty community as it is to make sales. Congrats to Barry on his race!

Holly said...

You are the best for jumping right in to the Portland scene and festivals. Your next event will just be that much better!
Congratulations to Barry on his awesome performance at the marathon. You two should be extremely proud of acclimating so well and so quickly to a brand new city!

erin said...

glad the blues are gone even if the street fair wasn't what you hoped. happy monday!

andrea said...

sososo fantastic meeting you, susan! so much fun. and I luuuurve my new earrings... head-over-heels kind of lurve, friend. you do such lovely work.

congrats to barry (great meeting him too) and love that shot of all the cups! someone has to be the water girl and my guess is that you are the best water girl ever.

xo

michelle said...

Oh, nothing like a great weekend and good food to make you feel better...a great friend is visiting form Portland right now, it made me think of you, and how I should send you his info if you like, for parties and meeting people and such...he is a massure, (spelling? so silly of me to not know how to spell!) anyway...I will send it along soon. I am sending you good vibes :) and thanks so much for your comments on my blog the last few weeks, keep up the great work and people will start going gaga over your jewelry.

Chickenbells said...

Wow! It sounds like you had a great weekend...I love the pictures of all the cups...and congrats to the marathon runner!

Lesley said...

Nothing like a weekend packed full of fun things and people!

Surprised that the show didn't go as well as hoped but there are hundreds of reasons why that could be and none of them are because of your work.

So anyway, hurray to your blues going away and Barry having a great race.

laundrygirl said...

Sounds like there was some light at the end of the tunnel! I love the photos capturing parts of your weekend. The wrap of that package from your sister-in-law is cool!

Mackenzi said...

Well, fear not, I can help make up for those not-so-great sales....I've been selling Sulu like mad!!

Isn't Lucky grand- the little article made a big splash here!

Enjoy Portland!!

- Mackenzi @ SITE

Erin said...

Glad you are feeling better Susan. Sounds like an exciting weekend, even if your sales didn't go as planned. You are getting yourself out there and making a name for yourself!!

Congrats to Berry!

Sonya said...

I'll just let you know that I spent the day with Bethany of Bitter Betty and she was sporting some Sulu Design earrings.

amandajean said...

sorry to hear that you had not so stellar sales...but glad that you enjoyed your weekend, anyway.

congrats to barry on his awesome finish!

amisha said...

hurrah for an un-blue weekend! and ditto to maritza on the fair... even if the sales weren't great, you're getting yourself out there, making connections, meeting people... all good stuff!
xox