8.28.2007

Delayed Gratification

Those of you who know me at all know that I can be pretty rigid. I like order. I like things to be in their place. And I like to get what needs to get done out of the way before I cut loose and have fun. Work before play, says boring old I. So as we unpacked in our new place, I told myself that I wasn't going to touch my beads until things in our apartment got settled - and settled to my ridiculously high standards. That would have been a hard enough task on its own, but then the insanely talented Nicole went and sent me the sweetest housewarming gift ever - bags and bags full of beautiful beads (guarded here by Jake, who belongs to friends of our friends).

I looked at the beads frequently (okay, I took them out of their box and touched them every day since they had arrived), but stuck to my guns about getting our little home homey before jumping into any earring making. Well, we finally reached a point in the past few days were I can say I'm comfortable here. Prints and photos still must be hung, and a few items need to be Craigslisted (did you know that was a verb?), but all in all, it feels like home now. So I let myself dive in.

I haven't stopped making earrings for days now. I've made well over a hundred pairs, and there's no end in sight. Between the beads I picked up right before we left NYC and the beads that Nicole sent my way, I'm in earring heaven. A big shipment of new sulu-designs is on its way to JetSet in Richmond:





And in the next few days, I hope to check out some Portland shops to see if any might be a good fit for sulu-design pieces. Ah, such fun! It was well worth the wait.
And now, in another nod to delayed gratification, I plan to catch up on two weeks worth of unread blog in my bloglines account. Two weeks! I can't wait to see what you've all been up to. If I'm not back in a few days, send a rescue team in for me...

25 comments:

Wende said...

They're amazing! And go you. :D I'm glad you're finally settling in.

The Lenart's said...

I am so happy that you are settled and back. I missed you. I love your new designs.

amandajean said...

I smiled when I saw (in bloglines) that you had posted. I have missed you. I don't envy your task of catching up on 2 weeks of blogs!

LOVE your new earrings. I can imagine the joy that you had sitting down to your new beads.

Robyn said...

Look at all those earrings! Beautiful! And I know about wanting things in order. It makes my stress level go down a lot. Good luck with the shops!

true nature said...

i love them! (and i'm already planning outfits to wear with most of them...is that sick? :)) who says that you can't design and wear your (other) jewelry too? ;)

Village Vegan said...

Yay, you're back!

Those are some earrings...wow. Isn't crafting fun? Good luck finding shops in Portland!

feli said...

WOW that is a wholllllleeee lot of earrings! :*)

traci said...

oh susan! I'm so excited to see all you've been up to! And we're coming out in a few short weeks!!!!!

Mom said...

My sulu-design earrings arrived yesterday - loved them and am wearing a new pair today!

You have incredible drive, am awed with all that you have done in such a short time!

Be good to yourself! Love, Mom

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Eye candy does not even begin to descibe your photos! I gave Heather her earrings last night + I think she was about to cry (but she was also laughing + smiling with a BIG giddy look on her face). She immediately put them on + I noticed that she kept toucing them. She has a zillion leads, but no job yet, but last night you made her so very happy! Thank you for extending your sweetness to my dear friend.
I've missed your posts + know how it is to move cross country- no pressure, but you have been missed.

p.s. at first glance I thought you adopted a new friend

Nicole said...

Yay! I'm so excited to see your new designs. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Sonya said...

Well Susan, I've made it very easy for you by not posting in your absence, catch up will be a breeze.

beki said...

In my mind I plan to work before play, but I end up playing before the work gets done.
Such beautiful earrings Susan, I can't wait to see them all listed so that I can make my choice.

holly - hey-eyyy! said...

a new blog from my favorite blogger - what a wonderful day! I love the beads, i love the picture of jake, and love that you are settling in so nicely to portland!!

laundrygirl said...

Such fun!
I can't wait to see your updated shop!

Rachel said...

I'm going 'ga-ga' over your new earrings!

maritza said...

Wow! You have been so productive, and those are all gorgeous. I love 'em!

erin said...

glad you are feeling settled! isn't it great fun to finally sit down and create? i have been on a bit of a roll myself....and am loving every minute. your earrings are gorgeous, susan and how lovely of nicole to send you beads! that, i am sure, was a great box to get!

amisha said...

that sounds like heaven! i can't wait till this weekend... i'm almost caught up on reading and the sewing machine arrives tomorrow :) hoping for a long stretch of crafty time to make this feel more like home.
loving all your new pieces... beautiful!
xo

Chickenbells said...

Yay for being settled! I am so glad, you know...since you can now inspire all of us with your brand of eye-candy...and play catch up with all of us!

Lynn said...

Those look beautiful! I'm so glad you've settled in and can come back to the blogging world!

Eva said...

Wow, for a second there I thought you were speaking about me Susan. I am the same way...always work before play. For me, it makes play that much more enjoyable when you know everything is in its place.

Glad to hear that you are settled in your new home. And I love all those new earings that you have created. Must shop now for some back to school treats. Not sure if you have found a new school to settle in but if so heres to a great school year!
Cheers!

Erin said...

So glad you are back. I've missed your posts. Glad to hear are settled into your new place.

I can't believe all the amazing earrings you have made. I must say I am extremely tempted. I love the purple ones.

linda p said...

gorgeous! i am still lax about putting up all the artwork, probably because i already set up my craft room. ah well!

Lesley said...

How did I miss this post? Ahhh... all those beads... and the possibilities! The anticipation must have almost killed you!