7.06.2007

Pre-Postcard


Things are ugly here, my friends. Ugly, I tell you. I've been packing for a week straight and have miles to go before I sleep. Actually, there will probably be no sleeping tonight. To fill you in - Barry and I are heading out tomorrow (really, it's today, seeing as it's well past two in the morning now) by car for Cleveland, where we will spend several days with my family. Then the road trip begins: a couple thousand miles in a handful of days, a few questionable motels with garish neon signs (at least, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 'em), some National Parks (I love America's National Park system), a bit of trail running along the way, and non-stop photo-taking. All before we arrive in Portland. We'll stay with friends - awesome friends - in Portland for a week or so, hunting for jobs and a place to live. Then we'll return to New York by plane, finish this lousy packing job, bid farewell to our family and friends, meet the movers (I'm officially an adult - we've hired movers!), and fly back to Portland on July 31st. Wow. You read all of that? And I was really just spelling it out for my mom's sake. Aren't you sweet.
During the time that I'm away, my gracious brother, Peter, has again agreed to publish several of my pre-written posts for me. Andrea is issuing a color week challenge, which is the perfect answer to my multitude of unused New York City-based Original Intent photos. I hope to catch up with you myself along the way, too, but if I get swept up in the glory that is a road trip, I'll be in touch with you all in August. Being the neurotic little bugger that I am, I'm bringing my box of listed sulu-design etsy items with me, and will be checking in on sales a few times while I'm gone, so orders will still be shipped in a timely fashion. Don't you worry.
Be good while I'm gone. And don't forget to write.

21 comments:

laundrygirl said...

Wow! Brace yourself for an amazing adventure ahead... I am excited for you both and eager to see how this original intent project of yours progresses as you cross the country. You are brave and courageous and I wish you the best.

kat said...

Here is to an awesome, safe, + wonderfully fun adventure for you and Barry! Enjoy :)

erin said...

road trips are the best! i can't wait to hear about all your adventures. travel safely, susan!

LeeAnn said...

You made me tired. I am going back to bed now!

Wow! Drive safe. And I'll keep my fingers crossed about jobs for you both.

Debi said...

Have a safe and very fun trip Susan!

kait said...

Taking a road trip from an old home to a new home is the best! I don't know if I could ever move somewhere without SEEING all the country in between. Good luck and don't stress out too much. All the important stuff will get done.:)

abbyglassenberg said...

Have a great trip and a great start to life's next adventure.

shari said...

ooh. like this photo! cross country road trips are the best. we've done it so many times and i have total wanderlust today. enjoy your travels and hope you arrive safely in portland. your new home! yay!

shy_smiley said...

I don't know about Portland but it's a buyer's housing market here in Tucson. Best wishes finding the NW house of your dreams. Have you spent any significant amount of time in Portland? I've never been; I hear it's beautiful but the climate's gotta be way different from the hot dry desert I love. Have fun!

mariss said...

You have such an adventure ahead, I'm a teensy bit jealous! (Minus the packing :)

If you're by Moab, Arches National Park in Utah is one of my favorites. It's amazing. However, that entire part of the country is non-stop jaw dropping.

Safe trip!

liz elayne said...

travel safely...

and soak in all that you see...the trip will be beautiful...can't wait to see the photos you take while you are traveling. (hope you get to catch up on sleep when you are the passenger...)

Connie said...

wow Susan. Good luck & safe journeys. i really admire your attitude and gumption... i just know it'll all be so great in the end, even tho right now its a little hectic.

traci said...

oh good golly have fun! see you on the other side susan!

ambika said...

I'm in the process of moving a mere 15 minutes away and I thought I was going to pull my own hair out yesterday (and maybe a little bit of my boyfriend's too).

So my gosh! I wish as stress free as possible a trip/move. Don't forget to have fun!

amisha said...

good luck on this amazing adventure susan!! can't wait to hear all about it :)
xo

Lesley said...

Oh wow! A massive change! Good luck with your move. I hope it goes smoothly for you and that you have a wonderful holiday along the way! Have fun!

sara said...

lycklig resa (have a nice trip in Swedish)

Eva said...

safe travels to you and Barry!
Enjoy all the wonderful sights.

Erin said...

Oh Susan, I'll miss you while you are gone. Happy packing and safe travels to you and Barry! Such an exciting adventure you two are embarking on. Take care!

Chickenbells said...

Oh my heavens...I am so excited for you guys, and I can't wait to see it all play out!!

amandajean said...

hope things are going well! I miss you around blogland so hurry back. have a safe trip...been thinking about you.