7.27.2007

Farewells Part Two (With a Couple Hellos Mixed In)

Countless goodbyes have been filling my last few days. There was a last supper at Tournesol, one of my favorite restaurants in Queens. Then, breakfast the next morning was my chance to say goodbye to Tyra. Why did I not meet this girl earlier? Between our jobs and hobbies we've got so much in common, and she's one of the easiest people to talk to - so thoughtful, so funny. I wish we'd met years ago so I could have gotten to know her better before the move. She's been making some killer earrings recently, like the pair (pictured below) that she wore to breakfast yesterday, and she's got these and these (my current favorites) in her etsy shop.


After breakfast, I had to say another goodbye - this time to Mimi of Mimi's Closet. Mimi is one of the bubbliest, most positive people the I've met here, and I'm disappointed to be taking my earrings out of her cozy little boutique.


I then dashed downtown to pick up my new eyeglasses (gotta use those benefits while I still got 'em). Goodbye to my old vintage pair with the coke bottle lenses. They served me well, but man, were they thick - like goggles, I tell ya! (EDIT: After reading a few comments to his post, I had to clarify. The frames below are in fact my old pair, with the insanely heavy lenses. Had I known what glasses lovers some of you are, I would have posted the new ones, too!)


As if to give some balance to my sad little day of goodbyes, I was also met with some pretty fabulous hellos. First, I went on my much anticipated bead shopping trip. Hello! I made major - I mean major - bead acquisitions, and I am dying to work with all the new shapes and colors that I picked up. But I'm doing my best to save them until Portland, and I'm keeping them top secret until then (I know, the suspense is killing you, right?). And look at what loveliness greeted me when I got home from my day of farewells:

Letterpress cards from Shona at LALA dex press! I follow Shona's work and her blog religiously. Her sense of humor, her references to great old music, her thrifty vintage finds, her hiking trips and travel around the U.S. - they all tell me we'd just have to be best friends if we should ever meet. One of the many upsides to blog friends is that you almost never have to say goodbye to them. Thanks, Shona, for thinking of me. What a nice pick-me-up in the middle of the craziness that is my life right now.
More goodbyes to come...

15 comments:

Erin said...

Even though you are saying "GoodByes" it still sounds like you had a great day. You are obviously well-loved and will be well missed!

Love the Gnome cards. I actually have a little collection of Gnome cards!

Can't wait to see all your new beads and new creations.

ambika said...

Mimi's Closet looks like a special place. And I envy you your imperfect vision that you get to wear such rad glasses. And yes, Shona rocks.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

OH goody they arrived! I sent them on the very day you posted about taking off for OR + thought, darn! I missed her, I hope the new tenants like gnomes.
Yep, we'd be friends, especially with super fabulous glasses like that! I tried on some funkier styles the other day + was shut down quickly by my friends.

And to Ambika, above, thanks. Hey! you're a Rockin' Girl Blogger too.

amandajean said...

I love your new glasses! will you model them for us? please?

I know what you mean (in reference to Tyra) about wishing you had met her earier. I met my fabulous quilting group on the same day that Kevin got his job offer. I would have loved to know them much much earlier. (although it would have been much harder to say goodbye.)

Mimi's closet looks fabulous. I am sure that you will find lots of cool places in Portland as well.

Robyn said...

those earring tyra made are really nice. And I love your new glases!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

WAIT JUST A MINUTE! (I just had a “Raising Arizona” way-homer moment)

toes...
shoulder...
ear lobe(yours?)...
glasses (which I personally count as a body part)

I guess these life changing decisions are making you a WHOLE LOT MORE daring.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Oh! I just re-read that section, the lobes belong to Tyra.
I'm done for now + I won't leave a 4th comment.

knicksgrl0917 said...

hey! i'm going to cali this weekend and won't be back until september...here is the website i was talking about where i made extra summer cash. Later! the website is here

kat said...

Sounds like you are having a blast saying a sweet goodbye to NYC :) Knowing you, you'll be back to visit all your old haunts :)

Those earrings Tyra made are beautiful! I love how graphic they are.

Those gnome cards and other letterpress cards from shona are awesome! she definitely rocks!

oh those lasses, can you be any funkier? I can't wait to see the new ones!

Wendee said...

I'm not sure how I stumbled upon your blog, but I've been enjoying it quite a bit over these last few weeks.

I long to move to NYC - ok, really I long to move there for like a year, then come back to my homey, comfortable Seattle. Every time you post a new place I think "I must visit that shop! How can she leave?". Then I remember you're moving to P-town and it all makes sense. Plus, so many boutiques to host your goods. That's the thing I love about Portland and wish there was more of in Seattle - community support for the indies. Once again, we're just a little behind the city of roses.

A Fanciful Twist said...

Oh GOSH!! Soo many good-byes! But, you will be kinda closer to me now???? xoxoxo

Chickenbells said...

Oh, it's hard to say good-bye...but, you're doing it right, by visiting all of your favorite places! I am very excited to see the new beads...and the glasses? Oh boy! I just unearthed a pair that I had saved from years ago...I should blog them...hmmmmm

Di said...

It sounds like you are having fun saying your goodbyes but I can understand that it is hard - I have never left anywhere for a long time but with lots of scientist friends who come to work somewhere for 3 years and leave I have had so many goodbyes in recent years.....it just means more places to go and visit!!

laundrygirl said...

I'm glad that as a blogger I don't have to say goodbye. I am actually feeling excited about you coming to this coast. It seems that maybe we will have a chance of meeting one day...

maritza said...

Oh, reading this is making me all misty, almost as if I were saying goodbye to you, which I am fortunately not doing. :)
Good luck with your move. I can't wait to hear all about your new life on the West Coast.

P.S. - I really can't wait to see what new beads you've gotten and what beautiful earrings you will make from them.