6.01.2007

Running is good for your heart...

and good for your vintage scale collection, too. Check out what Barry found in a garbage pile the other morning on his run:


The black scale in the front brings our unintentional collection to three (three makes it a collection, right Vanessa?) But truly, running has been good for our hearts in more ways than one, especailly these past few days. Getting back to my regular schedule (daily run included) after this horrific week has helped me to keep my mind off of all of the things that I can't control and shouldn't be fixating on regarding my father's accident. It's funny - when I posted that I might be absent from blogland for a while, I honestly thought that I'd be needing a break - that my mind would be consumed with other, more important things. Consumed it was. Productive it wasn't. Clearly, as proven by the two Original Intent posts that I've put up here since that absence notice, I'm finding quite a bit of comfort in returning to my blog and jewelry-making routines, too. In fact, all I wanted to do the other evening was sit and mess with beads. I messed a lot (the results of which should show up in my etsy shop some time this weekend):

Your unbelieveably kind words, your thoughts, and your prayers have meant so much to me. And stopping by your blogs to get some delight from your recent projects, photos, musings... it's been such a sweet diversion.
Because so many of you have asked: my dad is back in Cleveland, in the hospital still, and had another operation performed yesterday - pins and plates put in his right, very broken arm. He's in a terrible amount of pain right now, but has been showing signs of progress day by day. My father is a technical artist, so my greatest hope is that he'll regain use of his hand and arm so he can continue on with the work that is so important to him. He's still got a long way to go. Thanks for making that way a lot more bearable for me. I'm passing your well-wishes on.

14 comments:

Beth H said...

Oh, I love the earrings with the wavy discs. I may need to make a purchase here!!
Also, I know the running feeling. It is so good. Wish I could get back to it now that the babe is over a year old.

kat said...

the new pieces look beautiful. So happy to hear your dad is making progress. I do hope his hand/arm makes a full recovery!

Lynn said...

Your new earrings look gorgeous! I'm so glad to hear that your dad in making daily progress.

KSV said...

Darling, I am so sorry I haven't been around to read your posts. I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Love and hugs sent to you from afar! I am glad you haven't stopped working, it helps with the running throughts and the worrying. Love your way dear, {{hugs}}.

abbyjane said...

Making things and the blog universe is the very best of diversions for me when things are difficult. I totally understand about that.

Crystal said...

Very beautiful new pieces! I sincerely pray your dad continues to make progress and makes a full recovery! And thanks so much for the earrings, I really love them!

erin said...

i agree that when things are rough, it is better to do what you love and let your mind take a break...you know i am praying for your dad and for you.

Robyn said...

The earrings are really wonderful! And I 'm very glad to hear that your dad is progressing. Progress is good. I am also glad that running and making your earrings have been a nice solace during this difficult time.

Bumbershootska said...

Everything will be fine. It could have so much worse - my heart stopped when I read your original post but now,... all I can say is "thank you" to whatever angel was watching over him! Pins & plates will help him to heal and he will be fine, with patience and love

I'm glad to see your new work - the earrings are very special

Take care of yourself in the middle of all this worry

Kristine said...

Cool scales!
I spy some earrings I already love! Can wait to see the new items at your shop!

Chickenbells said...

How amazing life is when tragedy strikes...we sometimes realize what is really important to us, and that helps us go back to what our basics are. I am so happy to hear they can "fix" your dad's arm, even though it sounds so very painful. I still hope he makes a very speedy and less painful recovery!

Damn. I hate running, but it looks as though it may pay off on so many levels...how 'bout I walk fast instead?

amandajean said...

glad to hear that you are getting into a bit of a routine. your new earrings are lovely.

I am in love with your new scale...what a great find. I have a butter yellow one. Don't have a collection...yet. Maybe I should take up running? ;)

Mary said...

Wow that scale is amazing...who would throw that away!!?? I just saw so many vintage amazing scales in hungary ad wanted to bring all of them back...so glad I'm not alone!

Mary

Connie said...

i'm glad your dad is on the road to recovery.

and why can't i find cool stuff in the trash? man, what a find!