6.02.2007

Just Say No to Stash Busting

Yeah, I know I said that I needed to work on using up some of my bead stash before I brought any more beads into our apartment. But circumstances - to be discussed in a later post - brought me to my favorite bead and jewelry supply shop last week, and I just couldn't pass a few things up. First, I was thrilled to find a mini version of the extended length clasp that I use in so many of my earring designs. While I'm a big fan of the length that the original style provides (and will continue to use the original hooks in many future designs), I know that several customers have been attracted to its style but turned off by its length. So these new guys (in the middle, below) are the perfect compromise.

You'll see them debuting in the sulu-design etsy shop in the earrings below (click any of the following images for direct links to the items' etsy listings):

Yes, the beads in these earrings were another couldn't-pass-'em-up buy at the bead shop. They're extremely similar in shape to the beads that I used in my very first Original Intent post, and since I got several requests to replicate the earrings in that post, I thought that the translucent, smoky version of the original blue beads might go over well. Plus, I can't say no to beads that look like candy.

And if the pairs above didn't do it, the two pairs below should make it clear that I'm obsessed with the color and quality of the various styles of smoky translucent beads. Fine. I admit it. These beads are a new purchase, too.


Just thought I'd mention... I'm a little giddy with hope and happiness. I had a fabulous phone conversation with my father tonight. He's getting better bit by bit, day by day. Thanks again for your concern. I'm so touched by your toughts and prayers. Be well!

22 comments:

Robyn said...

All of these earrings are beautiful! I am so glad to hear there has been a bit of good news from your dad.

Hezza said...

I'm inspired to go through my own stash and find some hidden treasure!
I'm so glad to hear your dad is doing well...I am a fan of going fast on motorcycles and I hope he's better and back on the road (safely) soon.

Sonya said...

So happy to hear that your father is recovering! I myself am a fan of the mondo clasp and beads that look like candy - oh yes.

rachel s. said...

Great news about your dad!

And circumstances that lead you to your fav bead store? Destiny!

Lynn said...

Haha, I have the opposite problem. My ear lobes are super big, so the small clasps barely fit my ears! That's great news for your dad!

maritza said...

So glad to hear your dad is doing better. I love those smoky beads - very pretty.

Chickenbells said...

Yay for the dad! And yay for upsizing...that's what my mother is calling it. She is so very tired of people saying they're down sizing and getting rid of stuff...she's buying and stashing (much easier I think!)

Wende said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear your father is recovering. It's such a slow process--that he's in good spirits is just wonderful!

The earrings are, as usual, breath-taking. :D

LeeAnn said...

I am so glad to hear about your Dad. That is wonderful news!

kat said...

love the new size and those beads are just gorgeous! So happy to hear your dad feeling better :)

Crystal said...

These are all so beautiful! I especially adore the last two pairs. I'm very glad to hear you've had good news from your dad, and pray that will continue!

amandajean said...

Stash busting is so over-rated, isn't it? I like the new size of clasps...I bet it will be nice to have another size option. Your new beads are lovely, too. I am wearing some smokey beaded earrings today, and I must say they are quite lovely. (wink)

I am glad that you linked to your first original intent post, as I wasn't a reader when you started posting the series. It was interesting to read your rules for it. (you're cute.) That first O.I. pair of earrings were great. No wonder you had so many requests to remake them. I think I need to go and read some more of your old posts.

I am glad to hear the good news about your dad.

erin said...

and i wasn't going to buy fabric....

Nadia said...

I'm not seeing these, I'm not seeing these... Stop posting pretty things until I get a job!

Geez, you're such a jerk, Sulu. I'm never coming here again. ;)

Good to hear about your dad!

//FINE LITTLE DAY// said...

Glad to hear about your father.
Keep on your inspiring work : )

beki said...

Diets of any sort suck! I end up crashing on then all, whether they be food, budget, or stash!!

mariss said...

I think buying new beads for your stash can be validated since you made such gorgeous jewelry with them!

It doesn't count if it's for your business, right?

And or course, glad to hear about your dad!

Miss Twiss said...

I can't believe how I missed this! I am happy to learn your dad is doing better.

Gloria said...

Glad that your father is doing better!

Love the smoky quality of those earrings.

ambika said...

I am *so* glad to hear he's better.

I managed to go to the bead store on Saturday and *only* pick up findings. That was a real feat that my boyfriend just could not appreciate.

Lesley said...

That's such great news about your dad. I've been thinking about you a lot over the last few days and I'm so happy to hear that he's getting better.

Your new earrings are gorgeous! I love the smokey beads and I like the idea of the new clasps.

Erin said...

Oh I love those translucent beads too. They remind me of the earrings I bought a while back. The honey coloured ones. So glad to hear your Dad is recovering. I will continue to pray that his arm heals so that he can continue to work. Hope your doing better too Susan! :o)