6.23.2007

How Sweet it Is


I have gushed on and on (and on - would somebody please stop me?) about weekend love before, and, man, is that love in full force today. I'm holding down the fort myself this weekend, and have lots of fun-for-one plans. They include going on early morning runs in Astoria Park, sitting in our sunny corner while drinking mugful upon mugful of coffee and listening to my favorite NPR shows, eating my fair share of perfectly ripe berries and cherries, going on a few long Original Intent walks in the amazing weather we've got here in NYC, and taking care of some sulu-design business - getting ready for this week's major shop update takes a lot of work!


I'll also be snacking on what's left of my version of Wende's yummy apricot ginger scones. You know by now that I can never follow a recipe exactly as it's written. I substituted skim milk and fat free half and half - don't be scared, it's actually pretty good - and the results were scrumptious. So what's left isn't much. Barry was a big fan of these. Something about them - the spicy ginger, I guess - tasted a bit sausagey to him. In our house, sausage = good. So good, in fact, that Barry thinks Wende ought to market these as the Boca Burger version of sausage biscuits. He may be on to something there, Wende. You know, something to do when you're not busy working on your Thrifty Goodness Store? Wishing all of you sweet weekends, too!

13 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh, this sounds like a fun weekend! You hold down the fort with your scones and your berries and your morning runs. And I'll go scour the kitchen cabinets to see if I have enough ingredients for scones, of which I've never made correctly in my life, but that you now have my mouth watering for. :0)

picperfic said...

mmmm...love those scones and am going to bookmark the recipe, thank you. All that running though, is it good for you? heheh Just passed apricot and ginger by Barry and he looked a bit interested (he is a fussy eater but getting much better as time goes on). He likes ginger so that's a start. We are off out to an Italian in a while, I can just taste those crostini with tomatoe and balsamic vinegar now!!

Lynn said...

Weekends are the best, aren't they? Yours sounds super fun and I can't wait for your shop update!

Sonya said...

I already know that we would have such a wonderful time eating our way around whatever coast it is we're on when we meat. (I meant to type meet, but don't fight the subliminal typos, you know?) Sausage=Good. Oh yes.

Sarah said...

Your weekend plans sound completely lovely! So do those scones... mmm...

Thanks for your nice comments on my blog, I'm always happy to see you there.

kat said...

How perfect of a weekend you do have!

Enjoy your time outside, it is gorgeous! Enjoy your coffee + scones inside :) Now you're making me want to bake something too! Yum!

Wende said...

Oh man, thrifty goodness (shudder). I have so much photography work to do in the next week before my ad goes out. I may NEVER see the end of it.

Thanks for the plug and I'm glad you like the recipe. It's meant to be adapted, and I'm glad you did! Any fat-bearing or simulating milk will do the trick in these. The more fat in your milk, the "flakier" they will be, the less milk, the more "sponge"... but it's all good. :D

//FINE LITTLE DAY// said...

What a lovley home you seem to have, the scones looks yummie!

Chickenbells said...

Oh how lovely...it sounds like you're going to have a wonderful weekend indeed! I am cooking and baking and getting ready for an evening picnic in the square downtown during the Bluegrass festival this weekend...I am too excited! It's been a bit warm (97) so the evening festivities will be welcome...

erin said...

cherries and strawberries? yum! what i wouldn't give for a day to do whatever i please. hope you enjoy it all!

amandajean said...

sounds like great fun! gush away about your weekend. I would kill for some good alone time about now.

sausage=good in our house, too.

Village Vegan said...

Thanks for posting the link to those scones! Mmm.

And I really, really like the gravy boat you have your cherries in.

Erin said...

YUMMY - I am going to have to try those Apricot ginger scones! I hope you enjoyed your alone time!!