4.11.2007

Breeda Cat

When I was a little girl and would do something a bit odd (usually something that would fall within the limits of other people's definition of anal retentive - that quality came to me at a young age), my dad would laugh and say, "Suz, you're a special breed of cat," although it always came out sounding more like "breeda cat." I tell you this because my anal retentive tendencies are taking over, which is why I've been unable to post recently, even though I returned from our Texas vacation a couple days ago. More on the trip will follow in the upcoming days.
Before I could even think about the blog, I've had to attend to the very serious chore of skin peeling. Without the help of my fabulous sister, Maryanne, who in this case is the same breeda cat as I am (as in, we both love to peel sunburnt skin - it's quite satisfying to get those dry pieces off, no?), I'm having some serious trouble removing the remains of the little sunburn I got on my shoulders and back while hiking in the Chisos Mountains in Big Bend National Park last week. And since Barry is completely opposed to aiding in the peeling process (I should have made sure there was a clause about aiding in peeling hard-to-reach places in our wedding vows), I've had to enlist the help of my Tweezerman to reach some tough spots on my back. Okay... maybe skin peeling isn't the real reason why I haven't posted. But I have been obsessing about it recently. Can any of you relate?
Really, the deal is that I was so touched that so many of you were kind enough to leave comments on my blog while I was away that I wanted to try to get to read and comment on your blogs before I posted more of my own. Catching up on nine days' worth of blog reading is taking time, and posting comments (which my anal self always feels inclined to do) is taking even more. I hope to be caught up by tomorrow. Until then, thanks for keeping up with me, and wish me luck with the spot on my back, right between my shoulder blades...

19 comments:

Wende said...

Um, guilty! :D I love that sensation of itchy skin pulling away. And IZ is NO help either. He refuses... unless I whine. Heh.

As for comments and reading blogs... 9 days is almost an impossibility. So, no worries on this end. :D

Glad you're home and hope you had fun in TX. (Although, I can't imagine that! hee)

Nadia said...

I'm like that too! Dan and I get in fights over it.

"It's time to scratch your scab!"
"No, it's not!"
"Let me see!"
"No, go away!"

kat said...

hey welcome back~ I hope you had a relaxing + terrific time. You are too sweet to go and read my blog and comment on each post! What are you crazy?? oh, right, you are :)

I'm guilty too. Really, how can you not peel, right? I hope you can get Barry or someone to help with the spot on your back. That's a hard one and he should show some mercy :)

Shona said...

With us it's lotion on the back, my boyfriend does not like helping me out with this situation.

Welcome back, I imagine that you had all sorts of great adventures in that big 'ol state.

Thank you for all the comments you left me, I laughed at every single one of them. AND I just went ahead + signed up with Bloglines. You are correct- life changing! I love it + it's such a time saver. However; the "related feeds" button has increased my blog roll, like I needed 12 more blogs to read.

Take care + feel better.

Shona said...

Thanks for the tip about the log-in bookmark. I did not think that would work. What will I do with all the extra time Bloglines is saving me???

Lesley said...

Yeay! Glad you're back and had a good time! My other half only needs to stand in the sun for a couple of minutes and he goes brown. Me... I'm another story. I hate getting burnt so I'm usually all covered up. I completely sympathise with you! Have you tried bodyscrub in the shower/bath?

erin said...

i am a redhead. i so get the peeling skin thing. really, though, barry should help out...

and thank you for all your comments. you do not have to comment on every post - really. i am glad you do, though!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Skin peeling is just one of those things, I completely understand....You need a loofa on a stick. :) Or something like that.. But, I know it is the sensation of the peel...Not the getting it off? Right? I am a picker....I shoudl have been a dermatologist...What was I thinking???? So glad you had a good time!!!xxo,V

ambika said...

Hmm, I've only ever burned twice in my life and only peeled once. It was definitely a strange sensation. I do like to loofah regardless of the condition of my skin so I'd think that would help. They just make you so soft!

Oh, and welcome back!

Erin said...

One of the perks of being a Mum is that not only can you peel your skin, but you can also peel the skin of your kids :o)

Thanks for all your lovey comments on my blog, please don't feel obligated...but i do love getting comments!

Hope we get to see some photos of your trip to Texas!

Sonya said...

Oh my god. Hello there twin. I too should have checked the skin-peeling clause. I was just talking to a friend about the blogging commenting vs. lurking and how I comment more than I don't. Can't wait to hear about the trip, that is after all the sun burn is peeled. They must be those really big satisfying pieces evading your grasp!

mary said...

the next time you get in the shower, take a soft brush with a long handle and bruch your back where you can't reach...haha that should do the trick!!

Rachel S. said...

Hope you got that last spot! =) This post made me laugh!

Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Chickenbells said...

Oh well...I don't do the skin peel, although being quite Irish, I have had my share of nightmare sunburns...I did always love the picking and popping of the stuff on the back of my ex. Ok, maybe TMI but still...

Obsessions are always quite entertaining, I thought there was something wrong with them, but since everyone has them...why not indulge? I have been obsessed with egging a special someone's car lately, especially since my therapist suggested it in the first place...so that makes it OK right?

I am excited to hear about the trip! Until you catch up entriely...enjoy the peel...

amandajean said...

I am so glad that you had a wonderful trip to Texas, and I'm glad you are back.

good luck on the sunburn peeling between the shoulder blades!

Maryanne said...

Oh Suz... you have no idea how badly I wish to peel your back! Tony and Barry must also be the same breeda cat... Tony is so disgusted by the whole thing he won't even let me peel his skin when he is burned. Talk about torture.

By the way, Dad has so many wonderful lines like that, no? Your breeda cat reference had me laughing like blazes...

Crystal said...

Welcome back! Hope the trip was great, sunburn aside.

I burn dreadfully, but try to leave it alone.

Connie said...

i'm lucky to not sunburn and so i don't get to peel, but sometimes when i'm bored i'll let elmers glue dry on my hands and peel it off... remember doing that as a kid? so much fun

i mean... really really bored.

Anonymous said...

Ack. I do this too. My own skin doesn't ever seem to peel, but I remember picking at my little brother's sunburned back while he was sleeping. Eeewww. I used to put glue on my hands and peel it off on purpose. And I seriously had to restrain myself when my baby daughter had cradle cap.