3.03.2007

Sick Snack

Is the saying, "Feed a cold; starve a fever," or vice versa? Does it matter? Barry and I have both been feeling under the weather, and another batch of homemade granola seemed like the perfect cure to me. So, here goes:


Cruncy Granola (adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything)

6 cups rolled oats (not quick or instant)
2 cups mixed nuts and seeds (I go heavy on the almonds)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash salt
1 cup honey or maple syrup (use maple syrup - trust me)
1 cup raisins and/or chopped dried fruit (I like apricots and dates)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place a baking pan over medium-low heat on the stovetop, using two burners if convenient. Add the oats and cook for five minutes, until they begin to change color, stirring occasionally. Add the nuts and seeds and cook for two minutes more. And the coconut and cook for an additional two minutes, stirring occasionally. And the cinnamon, salt, and the sweetener of your choice, stir, and place in the oven for twenty minutes, stirring once or twice during that time. Once out of the oven, add the dried fruit, stir, and cool on a rack. Continue to stir occasionally until the granola reaches room temperature. Transfer to a sealed container and store in the refrigerator - it will keep indefinitely. Or, if you're like me and Barry, it will last you a little less than a week. Happy weekend, all!

12 comments:

traci said...

yuck for you and yum for me. (i know that's a bit selfish huh...) hope you kids feel better soon!

Tangerine Dreams said...

OOoo, nothing like handmade granola. I use to make it too but my husband sucked it back like a dust buster so now we have to buy it pre-made by, literally, the caseloads. I'm sick of that stuff - but homemade...yum. Hope you feel better! If you eat chicken, try to get some chicken soap in you. Magic cure.

Tangerine Dreams said...

Oops. Meant to say soup. Not soap. Not trying to subliminally advertise.

erin said...

feel better!

Robyn said...

I have been seeing granola recipes around and I really do need to try one. Yours does sound good.
I hope that you get to feeling better.

Connie said...

oh feel better! and i love your canisters. and eating pretty much cures everything

nicole said...

Oh my goodness, thank you for sharing this! Sounds like my next breakfast.

nicole said...

Well aren't you just the nicest ever.
So glad we found eachother! :)

nicole said...

Oh, and sorry I didn't say it earlier: get to feeling better!

kat said...

Oh, feel better soon!

Nothing stinks more than upcoming spring weather coupled with a cold!

I bet my kids + husband would like this granola! Thanks!

KSV said...

I am sorry you are feeling under the weather. Hopefully your yummy granola will make you feel better. I love to eat granola with yogurt, thanks for the recipe!!

Yes, there is a nautical section at the fabric store in town. They try to keep up with the fashion trends and they change the section every week it seems. The last time I went they had a black and white section and last week it was nautical. They have all the red, white, blue, any fabric with anchors on it. It's not a large section, just one fabric rounder, but interesting still, to say the least!

At any rate, feel better!!

Brittany said...

sounds good!