2.07.2007

The Slippery Slope That Is Chocolate

Perhaps it's my little third grade class that has been acting... let's just say... not so angelic recently. Perhaps it's the healthy living (not including a birthday week eating fest and a recent progressive dinner party, I grant you) that Barry and I have been trying to practice for months now. Perhaps it's that I can't stand adhering to a strict bedtime. Whatever the cause, at around 9:00 tonight, I decided that I needed to bake. And chocolate had to be involved. Since we've been trying to ease back on our chocolate consumption and therefore keep little of it in the apartment, my ingredients were limited to some chocolate chips that were a treat in my stocking this Christmas (thanks, Ma), and a tin of cocoa, left over from the flourless chocolate cake we made this weekend. It only took me a minute to find the recipe I needed. Several years ago, when I was graduating with my education degree, my lovely in-laws gave me a gift certificate to attend a class at the Insitute of Culinary Education. It was there that I got the recipe for chocolate espresso biscotti:

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts (or sliced almonds that have been sitting on the bottom shelf of your fridge since God knows when, in a pinch)
2 2/3 cup flour
1 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon finely ground espresso roast coffee beans
2/3 chocolate chips
5 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, sugar, and coffee in a mixing bowl. Add the nuts and chips. In a seperate bowl, beat the eggs lightly with the vanilla extract and add to the flour mixture. Beat at low speed until the mixture is combined. Divide the dough into three pieces. Shape each piece into a log that is two inches thick. Bake for 35 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut on the logs on the diagonal, about 1/2 inch thick, and bake slices at 300 degrees again for about ten minutes. Store in an airtight container for a week (or stuff your face like we did and don't worry about airtight anything).

sadly, this licked bowl and a puffed out belly are all that remain
as evidence of my random baking this Wednesday evening

8 comments:

erin said...

just popped two one-bite brownies myself. sometimes chocolate is the only thing that works!

Chickenbells said...

mmmm...I've been seriously addicted to chocolate for some time now...couple that with decaf in the evening, and it's super fabu!

Connie said...

oh that sounds dangerous.... dangerously good!

meg said...

i only really crave chocolate at *certain times* of the month. i'm going to bookmark this and save it for...let see...2.5 weeks from now!

kat said...

i might have to try this recipe this weekend. {or today!} Yum.

Tangerine Dreams said...

That's sick. Even your messes are photogenic!

Lesley said...

Uh oh!! I can feel my chocolate cravings starting!

Robyn said...

those sound really delicious. I think I'll have to try them.