Phew! Thirty days of Original Intent... complete. I'm feeling a bout of reflection coming on. Please bear with me.
Engaging in this little self-imposed project for the entire month of January caused me to miss out on blogging about a ton of non-jewelry related happenings that I would have written about otherwise (which I guess was the impetus for this project in the first place), but I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention a few of them here, such as:
- my big sister celebrated a pretty monumental birthday, and had I not been involved in the project, I would have gushed on and on about what an amazing friend and role model she has been to me, and how I don't think there's a better mother than her (besdies our own lovely mom) in the entire world
- my sister's oldest son celebrated a birthday, too; he received a gecko as a gift and named the lizard after his Aunt Suzy (that would be me - I love that kid)
- I was able to significantly increase the time, speed, and distance that I'm able to run (yea!)
- Barry and I ate well, perhaps a little too well, trying out lots of new recipes, including the no-knead bread from the New York Times (make it - now), ricotta/raspberry muffins from a Sweet Little Treat post, a stirfry in coconut sauce from Life Love Chocolate, and spring rolls from the Runaway Penguin
- we hosted the dessert portion of a progressive dinner party (in which participants start off at one host's home for drinks and appetizers, then walk to a second host's home for drinks and the main course, and end up at a third home for drinks and dessert - did you catch the common element?) during which we served lime coconut biscotti with sweet sparkling white wine, flourless chocoalte cake with whipped cream and port, and strawberries drenched in a balsamic vinegar, sugar, and black pepper concoction - oh, yeah, baby
- I found lots of new blogs that I am now addicted to, many of which are now links in my sidebar, with more to follow soon
The process that caused me to miss out on writing and photographing all of the above, however, also revealed to me a few things about myself and my craft, such as:
- I think I may be ready to move - soon
- walking through my neighborhood for the sake of photographing inspiring things made me notice so much more than I ever had before; I'm now trying to foster a new habit of seeing with a photographer's eye
- a lot of the stuff that inspires me is pretty junky, old, dirty, worn-down, even ugly; I'm not quite sure what that says about me...
-I'm semi-obsessed with the sky, as seen in several inspirational photos that didn't make the thirty day cut:
-I'm big on blue, and I can't get enough of red and black combinations
-But most of all, I can't get enough of you guys, the visitors to my blog. I want to thank each and every one of you for your kind words that kept me going throughout the project. I had no idea when I started keeping a blog this summer what an fabulous community of crafty people I'd "meet." I'm so flattered that you took the time to post encouraging notes to me, and I'm far more inspired by your work and words than any photo I could hope to take. So, if you'll humor me, I'd like to thank each and every one of you who posted your sweet comments, even if it does seem a bit award show-ish. My sincere gratitude goes out to:
Mom and Dad, Abby from While She Naps, Andrea from Fly Girls, Baraka from Truth and Beauty, Belinda from Tutti Fruiti, Chickenbells from Foolsewoode, Cinderella from Cinderella's Revenge, Colette from Knit Witch, Connie form Life love Chocolate, Cynic the Lamb from Knotty Bits, Erin from House on Hill Road, Gloria from Vers l'Absurde, Gwen, Helen from Golden Apples, Holly, Jessica from Funky Finds, Julie from Julie Ree, Kat from Taylor Made Designs, Kathy from While Tangerine Dreams, Kristine from Notes from the Laundromat, Kristyn from the former Goodness, Lesley from Painter's Blog, Leya from Curious Bird, Love Squalor from Full Instrumental, Mary from How Does Your Garden Grow?, Maditi from Micasa, Mary Beth from Junk Drawer, Meg, Melissa from Foxyness, Miss Twiss from Miss Twiss, Momo from The Momo Montage, Rachel from the Runaway Penguin, Robyn from ...That Silly Girl, Shona from LaLa Dex Press, Sonya from Knit Sonya, the ladies of Sweet Little Treat, Traci from Little Messes, Trenchant Maiden from Girl in the World, and Vanessa from A Fanciful Twist. Due my forced switch from the old to the new blogger in the midst of the project, many of the comments that readers posted during the first several weeks of Original Intent are now attributed to "anonymous," even though you may have originally posted your name with your note. So to those of you who commented but whose names are not noted above, my thanks go out to you, too.
More to come (more ideas, fewer words) tomorrow. Thanks again, blog friends.