2.23.2007

The Bangles Had It All Wrong

Bear with me here, I'm in the oddest mood. If you can't deal with some serious randomness, scroll down for photos. 'Cause here I go...
When I was in the sixth grade, my enrichment teacher assigned our class the task of writing the script for a dinner table conversation that might exist if we could gather fifteen or so of the world's most influential people, living or dead, together for supper. Once we wrote the script, each of us had to play the role of one of those people and act the meal out. I recall that as a group, we chose to include figures such as Martin Luther King, Jr., John F. Kennedy, Louis Pasteur... and (remember, we're talking the eighties here) Susanna Hoffs, the lead singer of The Bangles. I was totally obsessed with the band at the time, and was beyond giddy when I was chosen to play her in our dinner play.
That being said, I think The Bangles missed the target a bit when they recorded their hit, "Manic Monday." First off, I think the girls were more stressed than manic (this is scientific - I'm basing this conclusion on the lyrics of the song). Manic means excessively enthusiastic, or being in a state of insanity characterized by great excitement. They just seemed to be annoyed that they had to get out of bed and go to work. And secondly, they got the day all wrong, too, because here it is, Friday, and I am in a completely manic mood. I guess, though, that "Manic Friday" isn't as catchy a title as the original. Anyhow, my fits of excitement today have been brought on by many factors, and seeing as I was up late enough last night to catch David Letterman (perhaps lack of sleep plays a role here, too), I figured I'd do a little Top Ten list of my own. Drumroll please...

Top Ten Reasons That Suzy-Q is Manic Today


10. I finally got around to making my own granola with dried apricots.


9. Another batch of no-knead bread is currently rising in my kitchen,
this time with rosemary and black olive additions.
(No, I'm not receiving payment for my endorsements every time
I mention this recipe on my blog - I just love it that much.)

8. Julie opened an etsy shop - finally!

7. Traci is back in business - I was going through Little Messes withdrawl.

6. I picked up my knitting needles again and I'm working on a lace pattern.
And I'm actually liking it. Having a sunny corner to knit in really helps.


5. I've been rocking out with The Black Angels and The White Stripes all day.


4. Speaking of black and white, the bathroom (and, for that matter, all of the rooms in our little apartment) are spic and span thanks to a work-free week.
I love cleanliness!

3. This old lamp (the one that I use to light the sulu-design pieces that I post here and on etsy) that Barry and I picked up in a thrift store in Austin a couple years ago while we were on vacation is reminding me that even though mid-winter recess is coming to an end, spring break is right around the corner!


2. Being home when I can photograph in natural light is heaven. It's making me see our place in a totally new light (no pun intended), so I've been bouncing around all day, snapping shots of little corners, like this one (where one of Cynic the Lamb's squirrels lives).


1. My little vacation has ended, but now it's the weekend!
I hope your weekend is magnificent (not manic - it's a tad bit too intense)!

12 comments:

Shona said...

The first concert I ever went to was The Bangles on The 4th of July + they could not get the fireworks permit so Vickie Petersen encouraged the audience to “Imagine a metaphysical fireworks show” She was booed- Actually, we went for the opening act- The Untouchables, stayed for The Bangles. This was at the height of "Walk Like an Egyptian." LOVED the first album, lost interest after that, so at least they played some of the old songs. Yah, Manic Monday came out when the term Manic Depression was still the accepted term (changed to Bi-Polar) + it just did not make sense to me.

I cannot wait until I came home from work + can photograph with natural light instead of fiddling with photos in PS. I was looking back at my summer posts + the difference is so...well...different, literally night & day!
Enjoy these last few days.
P.S. I think you odd mood is contagious, or I am anxious for my weekend to start.

Nadia said...

How about Hypomanic Friday? It's like Mania Lite!

traci said...

you are hilarious. i love your top ten and am honored to have made the list. yipee for fridays. manic or not. your granola, your little corners and that white kartell storage bin in your bathroom makes me want to scream with glee. i would love to find a white one for our new bath!!

Chickenbells said...

Well...see, I KNEW my 80's flashback posts would rub off on someone! And I think manic-ness is just wonderful when it includes cleaning the abode...boy the week flew by didn't it? I hope you enjoyed your break, and your weekend too.

Kristine said...

Great apartment!

cynic the lamb said...

Your apartment looks so fabulous. Happy to the squirrel in its nesting spot. :)

julieree said...

eee! love your list. also LOVE the snapshots of your apartment. that one of the corner with the chair is so great!
and hey, thanks for the plug! :)

erin said...

i love your top ten susan! seeing the little corners of your home is wonderful too. and julie's store?!? i already made a purchase.

Sonya said...

I love seeing the photos of your apartment! Glad to hear you had a: productive-natural-light-lit-cleaning-frenzied-
baking-heavy- -photo-taking-filled break.

maditi said...

I love your manic friday - and your home is so very fabulous :)

Connie said...

yeah that was a bit of a random post, but great! i loved the photos. sometimes we need a little a little reminder of all the fun things around us

amandajean said...

thanks for sharing the beautiful corners of your home.
and thanks for your sweet comments and birthday wishes for my little one :)