1.04.2007

Original Intent: Day One

On my walk to the gym yesterday, it dawned on me that my venture into blogdom, upon which I embarked for the sake of getting inspiration for and feedback on my jewelry designs, has veered a bit from its intended path. I recall that when I first wrote the text for my header, I used the phrase "the everyday beauty that inspires their making" ("their" referring to pieces of sulu-design jewelry) because I knew then that I'd not only be posting about jewelry, but I'd occasionally write about travel, food, thrift store finds, etc. I figured that the line about "beauty that inspires" kinda covered all of that. And recently, covering all of that is what I've been doing. Covering all of that, and posting very little about jewelry. I've become awfully chatty in my recent posts. (And have you noticed how I love to use parentheses - and dashes - don't forget the dashes!) To simplify my posts a bit, and to get back to the original purpose of the sulu-design blog, I have assigned myself the follwing task:
Post two photos, each with a caption, every day for the next thirty days. The first photo must be of an image from life's everyday encounters, and the other is to be an image of a piece of sulu-design jewelry that was inspired by the first. Captions must be short and sweet. Photos of each sulu-design piece must include a link to the sulu-design etsy shop, where each piece will be listed daily. The first image may translate literally into the jewelry's design (in terms of color, shape, pattern, etc.) or may connect solely in the mind of its designer (I had to give myself a little leeway here). So, here goes... Project Original Intent, Day One.

lights at the 174th street station

inspired earrings found here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Great idea, too. I love this concept you are pursuing and look forward to seeing more.

Seems like we are in a similar place with this. I have been thinking about my own content versus ramblings as well and definitely will be working on paring down my posts to their essence.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea...I can't wait to see each day, this is going to be fun!

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great idea! I love to see what inspires people. And the blue earrings are really nice.

Anonymous said...

They're gorgeous! And I love your idea. Very interesting.

erin said...

oh i love it all - the idea, the photos, the jewelry! and the dashes - i have a thing for those too.

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea Susan. (though I like your rambling posts too and of course the parentheses and dashes!)

beautiful pic of the lights. And of course the earrings too!

Anonymous said...

I started off with the best of intentions, JUST wanting to post about work + then I realized that my work is more than just the objects, but everything I look at around me- "beauty that inspires." I tried to capture all of that in my header too (I’ve had to add items along the way).
When I feel that I have not actually created anything for awhile I look back at my posts to gauge what I have been doing in my creative time. At this point it has been awhile.
Aswe settle back into our daily routine, I thing the posts will reflect a return to creativity (but then again, sometimes we need a little break).
PS. I love (parentheses) + -dashes- too, very fond of ~~tildes~~.

connie said...

i understand the feeling of a blog moving away from its original intent. that's why i started chocolate wednesday. it's hard when so many things excite us and we wish to share. i really like your idea though and i look forward to it. although, i do like your posts on other crafy things you do and the places you go.

Funky Finds said...

wow...this is such a great idea susan. how fascinating to see how an everyday object inspired one of your gorgeous creations. i look forward to this!

abbyjane said...

This is brilliant. Your photos and the connection to your work is fascinating to look at. I really like this idea.