10.22.2006

You know it's your birthday when you have pastry crumbs stuck to your forehead.

At least that's what Barry said as he was brushing little morsels off my face after our 24 hour birthday eating fest. It all started last night at Public, a fabulous restaurant on Elizabeth Street in Manhattan.


Fig and ginger sour cocktails, pan seared foie gras, kangaroo (I'm always trying to expand the list of meats I've eaten), snapper with ginger, chocolate fudge cake with peanut brittle and Guiness ice cream, and pear with lemongrass crumble...

The frenzy continued this morning at one of my all-time favorite breakfast spots, Cafe Colonial, also on Elizabeth. We kept it simple - poached eggs and fruit salad, knowing there was a lot more in store for us later...


After a bit of walking (which we really only did for the sake of building our appetites back up), we went for a great lunch at Lovely Day, and yes, it's on Elizabeth, too. Yummy hobo noodles with chicken...


Later, we stopped by Balthazar's bakery for some coffee and pastries. Barry's little tart with nuts and custard was delicious, (as well as being the source of the aforementioned crumbs)...


And now, we're home, just to clean up before our last meal of the birthday weekend. Barry made reservations at Peasant (also on Elizabeth - hmm...) - oh, joy!

If I haven't fallen into a food coma after all of this, I'll catch up with you tomorrow. Have a great week.

7 comments:

cynic the lamb said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Sounds like you a great weekend. All the food sounds so delicious and totally enticing. By the way, Cafe Colonial is one of my favorite places. Your photo made me suddenly miss it.

connie said...

happy birthday! i'm glad you got to eat so many yummy treats!

LALA dex press said...

I have fallen into a food coma just reading all of this! YYYYUUUUMMMM!
Happy birthday!

erin said...

Guiness ice cream? My god, Fatty would be in heaven. Happy Birthday Susan! Hope all your culinary dreams have been fulfilled!

mary contrary said...

Aw happy Birthday lovely!! I can't wait to catch up on all my sulu-reading from my days missed!!!

julieree said...

hey happy birthday a day late! Forgot to mention it yesterday cuz I was so preoccupied by my kick-ass new earrings purchase.

oh my goodness I gotta get down to elizabeth st. glad you had such a scrumptious day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! It sounds absolutley fabulous...eat, eat and be merry!