10.27.2006

Blogosphere Bliss

Recently, I've been reveling in the joy that is blogland. I have been so excited by projects that other crafty bloggers are posting, so boosted by supportive comments by readers, and so buzzed by the energy that this forum creates. And while I never thought I'd be the type of person to make friends by means of the internet (that kind of thing always sounded like a set-up for a bad Maury Povich episode to me), I found myself accepting an invitation to meet up with Traci, a blogger whose weblog I read religiously. Once a New Yorker herself, she was back in town this week for a convention and suggested we meet up (after months of commenting on each other's blogs). I was so happy that she contacted me. I've been interested myself in extending such invitations to other bloggers, but (in a completely uncharacteristic way) I've been too shy to do so, or perhaps too scared. Traci is, in fact, not a homicidal maniac who uses the front of a blog to lure unsuspecting readers into her snare. She is super fun, outgoing, enthusiastic, insightful, creative, and generous. Look at the beautiful coasters that she brought me!


We had so much to talk about, and we share a lot in common (the whole love/hate thing with New York - and the "maybe I should move to Portland to escape" daydreams - are hot topics for both of us). It's still a bit crazy to me that my computer had to intervene to help me meet people with whom I share many interests, but I'm so glad that it did.
If you haven't done so recently, you should stop over to little messes to see what Traci is up to. Thanks for a really fun evening, Traci. I hope we can meet up again. And to the rest of you, my dear blog friends, have a wonderful weekend - maybe we'll be meeting soon, too!

6 comments:

Mary said...

Wow that was brave and sweet! Haha I loved your comment about the the speakers blaring music...now that would have really made me laugh while walking down the street!! I love the red and blue earrings in your last post...and yes the window display will be up all during November and possible December and I'll have some paintings up in the gallery!! I can't wait to hear what you think!

erin said...

Glad the two of you had fun!

Melissa said...

see, the internet isn't so bad after all! glad you had fun!

julieree said...

Sounds like you had such a fun time! And those Lotta coasters are gorgeous. My sister and I always joke about our "cyberfriends" but really it's actually a very rational way to meet people of like temperament and interests, isn't it? And so much inspiration to be found out there too. Yeah, blogland is good. :)

traci said...

oh geez!! it was so so great meeting you as well. and i'm glad to see my plan of infiltration was a success and that next we meet have you fully ensnared!!

LALA dex press said...

I just met a fellow TN blogger whose blog I read + vice versa. I am a pretty extatic huggy person + immediately wanted to hug her, but she extended her hand + introduced herself. Since I read her blog I should have known she may not have been too happy with a big hug. Anyway, it was weird because you get the sense that you know this person, but you don't really. I was exited to meet her, please don't get me wrong + would love to meet so many people who comment on my blog (If I come to NYC...). One thing that recently struck me and maed me realize that we know eachother in a weird way is that we don't know what eachother sounds like.