10.16.2006

Between Meals

This evening, while looking over my last few posts, I realized that a new visitor to the sulu-design blog might think this is a blog devoted to food. Why am I posting so many pictures of my meals recently? Perhaps I'm approaching hibernation mode - you know, storing up energy for warmth as winter approaches. Or maybe I'm cooking more frequently since Barry and I have been spending more time at home. Whatever the reason, I've been food-obsessed this past week, and if you read on, you'll be looking at even more treats in this post.
Walking home this evening, I saw figs for $1.50 a pint (!) at our local fruit stand. Seeing them, I was reminded of one of my favorite little treats, one that I must have forgotten when I blogged about Connie's awesome recipes that combined heat and fruit, like plums and peaches. How could I have forgotten the sweet taste of carmelized figs over vanilla ice cream?



I kept it simple tonight - just quartered up the figs and tossed them into a hot, non-stick pan. After a few minutes, when the pulpy insides softened up a bit and a few spots were nicely seared, I scooped them up and served them over vanilla yogurt (I recommend LaYogurt non-fat vanilla yogurt), although rich vanilla ice cream is even better.



I swear, I shall return to posting sulu-design pieces soon (remember, there's free shipping at my etsy shop this week), but until then, make sure you're enjoying some good treats at home, too. See you tomorrow!

10 comments:

julieree said...

yeah, i've already started storing up my winter fat and it's thanks to nothing so healthy as fruit and yogurt. but this looks awesome. must try!

(and how much do you love city fruit stands? they're definitely hit-or-miss, but you can find such great stuff!)

Anonymous said...

mmmm. figs. When we were in Spain we had figs carmelized in some sinful dessert wine and THEN covered in marscapone ice cream. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Maybe I had.

Bonnie said...

I highly recommend figs with whole milk yogurt (like Brown Cow), fresh honey, and a few chopped pistachios. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Oh figs are sooo yummy! My mother has had a long suffering love affair with figs...mmmmm

I know what you mean about hibernation. I have certainly been baking so much more this year...that must be the reason!

connie said...

lovely!

i think i may just be corrupting you with my foodie-ness

bwahahah!

Colette said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that looks yummy!

erin said...

oh - again with the figs....love doing this with peaches. must try the figs. going to keep my eyes peeled for them. yum!

Mary said...

Gorgeous!! I know what you mean about the food! I have caught that bug too and I'm not even a cook!!

Maryanne said...

Keep the recipes coming... made the tomato pasta last night and the entire family devoured it. Too delicious!

LALA dex press said...

It always comes back to the figs!