9.16.2006

Pocket Full of Projects

Days of anticipation of a perfect Saturday morning are coming to fruition. I slept in until almost nine o'clock, I weeded out my clothing for my trip to Beacon's Closet, I'm currently on my second cup of coffee, and I'm listening to my third radio program of the day. Ahhh...

I also started and completed the first of several little projects that I had been looking forward to working on today (using the fabric, above). A couple weeks ago, I fell in love with a wallpocket designed by Sally, the creator of Shim and Sons. Apparently, several others were also impressed with her project; I keep seeing references to it on various blogs. When she posted a second beautiful wallpocket, I was inspired to make one (or several, as it turns out) myself. When Barry and I were at an Annapolis antique mall last month, I picked up a bundle of wooden embroidery hoops for a couple bucks. I wanted to make a few small wallpockets out of them that would be suitable for holding sulu-design cards.

As it turned out, I've come up with uses for several more. I'm thinking of hanging the oval shaped pocket next to my side of the bed to hold a pen and some cards to jot down those ideas that come to me before I doze off at night. And I may use one of the circular ones to hold recipes in the kitchen.



I was able to use the red ribbon that Erin tied around my patchwork belt in the pockets, too. Speaking of Erin, I hope she receives her earrings from our swap today. I've been basking in the glory that is my new belt, and she has had an empty mailbox! Ugh!
Before I get going on my next project, I want to offer huge congratulations to Maryanne, my amazing sister, who completed her first triathalon this morning. She finished under her anticipated time and had an overwhelmingly positive experience in the all-female race. I always wanted to be just like Maryanne when I was a little girl. Today is no different. I'm so proud of you, Franeeter!
Now, on to the next project.

7 comments:

erin said...

These rock! The embroidery hoops are a great idea - they make so much sense - super easy to swap out, too if you ever want to. Brilliant, Susan, truly brilliant!

Bonnie said...

I always wanted to be Maryanne too! So glad to hear her triathlon went well. Love reading your blog.

traci said...

oh beacon's closet how i miss thee.. and these are great. i'm a big lover of pockets and these are no exception. lovely lovely!

connie said...

i loved the wallpockets too, but not having a sewing machine i was so upset that i couldn't make some of my own... but your idea with the embroidery hoops is just fantastic! i just hope i can find some cute fabric and fast!

and it sounds like you had one of those 'perfect' days

julieree said...

hey those are great!! what a fantastic idea to put them in embroidery hoops. i love it! nice patchworking too--the red ribbon is a great touch.

Maryanne said...

Thanks for the tremendous compliment, Suz... you'd be amazed at how many times I've wanted to be just like my little sister! Your beautiful work is inspiring me to make more time for my own creative endeavors. Doing this triathlon has proven that you can do anything if you put your mind to it... very empowering.

cynic the lamb said...

Holy cow! How did I miss this post? Those wall pockets are great! What a fabulous idea to use embroidery hoops. I love 'em.