9.15.2006

Not Until the Little Hand Has Passed the Five and the Big Hand is on the Six

Barry and I just returned from the Museum of the Moving Image, located here in fair Astoria. We won tickets in a raffle at Hell Gate Social last Sunday to go there and see A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, a film written and directed by Dito Montiel, an Astoria native. It was so much fun to see our neighborhood on the big screen, even if it was the stage for some pretty nasty events. And it was refreshing for me to start the weekend out with a movie (instead of retiring to bed early, as I often did in years past).


I've been anticipating the upcoming weekend like crazy. In fact, I'm almost worried that it can't possibly live up to the expectations that I have for it - that's how excited I am. This reminds me... years ago, I saw an amazing Simpson's episode in which Marge was taking bowling lessons from this slick French guy, who was totally falling for her. He invited her out on a date and had very high expectations - nudge, nudge - about the... outcome. There was this fabulous scene in which Frenchie is getting ready for the date (can you believe that Marge accepted the invite?) and he's dancing around his room, muttering about how the anticipation - I mean "zhe anteeceepayshon" - is so sweet. He rants on and on about anticiation being so much better than the actual event in question. (Don't fret - in this case, the anticipation was far sweeter than the outcome, at least for Frenchie, since Marge denied his advances.) In any case, I often think of this episode when I'm in one of my clouds of anticipation. I used to try to shake this sort of manic looking-forwardness from my head, thinking that I could only be disappointed if the event in question didn't measure up to my expectations. But I've since learned to revel in the anticipation itself, and enjoy the high that it brings, regardless of the actual outcome of events. And so, for the past 48 hours, I've been reveling in the anticipation of this weekend, looking forward to mundane events that usually bring me such pleasure, and getting excited about a few special things that we've got planned. This weekend will be awesome because:
I'm sleeping in past five thirty in the morning.
I'm going to drink - at a leisurely pace - a half pot of fresh brewed coffee in the comfort of our living room.
I'm going to listen to This American Life, Car Talk, and Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me on NPR.
I'm going to go to Beacon's Closet to rid myself of some unwanted clothing.
I'm going to stop by Sodafine's official grand opening celebration in Williamsburg.
I'm going hiking with Barry somewhere upstate.
I'm going to work on some jewelry and other crafts that I've been itching to get to all week.
I'm going to talk to my sister, Maryanne, after she finishes her first triathalon.

I hope your weekend is as good as I'm anticipating mine will be. And if you're in the NYC area, check out the Sodafine opening, too. Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be the one with the crazed grin on my face.

3 comments:

cynic the lamb said...

I love that Simpsons episode! I remember it well. I totally know what you mean about anticipation, too. I think I used to be that way (and I don't know how, but somewhere along the line I stopped); it's a good way to feel. Hope you have a great weekend! (and that it lives up to your expectations and then some!)

erin said...

Hope your weekend turns out just like you have hoped and planned!

LALA dex press said...

Brunch, it's not quite breakfast + it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe on the side. Forget about everything you ever needed to know you learned in Kindergarten, No! it's The Simpsons.
ANYWAY your weekend sounds grand. I have a similar weekday schedule + come Saturdays I enjoy sleeping until 7am, listening to NPR shows + NOT drinking coffee in a travel mug.