8.30.2006

Up and At 'Em

I must have some seriously amazing internal clock that resets itself at the beginning of each school year. Although I didn't have to get up until 7:30, I woke at 5:00 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. My mind was swimming with ideas about what I was going to buy at the teachers' supply store, how I was going to set up my room, and, most disturbingly, how I could possibly work with the nasty salmon paint color of my new third grade classroom. It took me hours to get to the store, push my cart up and down the same aisles over and over, wait on a block-long line to pay, and schlep my purchases up to my school. This is the bleakness that greeted me:


Sadly, in the couple hours I was able to spend in my new room, I didn't make much headway - just a splash of color in one of the corners was all I had time for:


Tomorrow is when the serious work begins. I promise, the room will look fabulous before the little nuggets arrive on Tuesday. I wouldn't have it any other way.
This getting back to real stuff stinks. I've been dragging all evening, trying to get my run in, stop at the grocery and hardware stores (staple guns rock), cook a decent meal, and read up on some of my favorite blogs. Oh, speaking of favorite blogs... did you notice? I've done a little work on my links. Just another one of the baby steps in my attempt to be friends with computers. And, in even more exciting blog news, Barry has started a second blog, "...the palest stain of their passing...", in which he's posting groupings from his extensive vintage photography collection. The photos and the way in which Barry is presenting them are just beautiful. Enjoy.

2 comments:

connie said...

good start! and i like that hardwood floor.

oh man... to have a crafter as a teacher. some teachers are clever, but school room designs often end up looking over whelming. i'm sure yours will look all sorts of neat and hip and fun. be sure to post pictures!!


on another thought, wouldn't it be funny to have like, a modernist teacher who did the room up very zen? like all calming and using subtle earth tones? i wonder how that would go over...

julieree said...

for only a couple hours work, i'd say it's coming right along! What wonderful big windows you have. nice and bright even in this dreary weather.

best of luck with the preparations--and the readjustments to the school year.