8.23.2006

I'm Loving "Life Love Chocolate"

I've been feeling a bit guilty recently about not posting more jewelry-related items (wasn't that why I started this blog is the first place?), but I've having so much fun with other interests that I often can't help but post about those instead. Today's post is no different.
The time I spend on the computer each day has increased dramatically since I started reading others' blogs this summer. How did I exist for so long while being in the dark about some of these gems? I'm amazed at the quality of writing, the photography, and the topics addressed in so many blogs that I happen to just stumble upon. One blog that has truly inspired me recently is Life Love Chocolate, and I wanted to share it with the readers of my blog because I know that several of you (Mom, Maryanne, Mike - and others whose names don't begin with"M") will enjoy it, too.
I found Life Love Chocolate through another brilliant blog, A Bird in the Hand. While scrolling through comments that readers had left on A Bird in the Hand, I was struck by something posted by a reader named Connie. Who is this Connie, I wondered. So I clicked on over to her blog. The first post I came across was Connie's list of "Things to Do Before I Leave Cleveland." Being born and raised in Cleveland myself, I was intrigued. As it turned out, several of the places that Connie wanted to visit (or revisit, in most cases) before she left are places that I frequent when I'm in Cleveland visiting family. So I read on. As it turned out, Connie was making the move from Cleveland to Cambridge. Yes, the same Cambridge to which my friend Maritza is moving next week. These coincidences had me interested, but it was the content of Connie's blog that got me hooked.
Connie regularly posts lovely descriptions of her wanderings around her new neighborhood, her daily goings on, and - my favorite - recipes that are delicious, simple, and make use of fresh produce, which she picks up at local markets. She provides mouth-watering close ups of scones, tomato fondue, and a chilled glass of wine (to name a few of her recent treats), and always includes elegantly simple directions for making those dishes that she highlights.
Life Love Chocolate included a recipe for grilled plums earlier this week that inspired me to try grilling some fruits of my own for desert last night:


Connie's photos of the completed dish are far more enticing - all the more reason for you to go check out her blog. By the way, the fruit was wonderful served with a glass of port.
Now, in homage to Connie's simple yet delicious recipes, I thought I provide one of my own here. While making dinner last night, I was sipping on a Mint Julep, my favorite summer drink. So...
Mint Julep
2 oz. bourbon (we like Maker's Mark)
2 sugar cubes
8 sprigs of mint (I often toss in a few more than that)
crushed ice


Crush the mint and sugar cubes together in the bottom of a glass. Fill the glass with crushed ice and pour the bourbon over it. Stir vigourously and serve.
(adapted from Ben Reed's Cool Cocktails, a gift from Peter and Jennifer, my brother and sister-in-law)


So it's not as impressive as most of Connie's recipes, but it is quite refreshing. Now, I'm off to work on some necklaces so I can get back to posting about jewelry some day soon. That is, if checking in on my favorite blogs doesn't distract me first!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzy honey,

It is so easy to grow mint!! It has almost taken over my herb garden. You can root your own in a matter of days by putting a sprig in a glass of water.

Your grilled fruit looks delicious! Am now going to the Chocolate site. Have a wonderful day, Love, Mom

sulu-design said...

Sorry to use store-bought mint, Mom! I've been trying all summer to grow mint in our window box, but it's not growing beyond a stringy, puny stage. I'll refrain from including pictures of produce in rubber bands from now on!

julieree said...

isn't it amazing the stuff that you can find in blogland? (only problem is it's soooo easy to realize you've just wasted 3 hours blog-hopping in the blink of an eye!) That's a great blog, though, hadn't been there yet.

Glad to find a fellow new yorker! your jewelry designs are so great--i've been meaning to check out sodafine, and now I have one more reason to get over there!

cheers!
julie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing "Life Love Chocolate." Pictures are gorgeous and recipes should be in Bon Appetit or Gourmet!

Connie said...

Holy Moly! I am grinning ear to ear. Susan, you make me blush! Thank you so much for the wonderful praise [and the mint julip recipe... for I have seen them referred to in books and such and have wondered what they are made of] I'm glad you tried the grilled plums and I hope you liked them [as I kinda just made up the recipe on the spot, I'm sure with some tinkering it could be better] I went wandering around today, looking for thrift stores... but two were closed!!! But, I am relentless in my pursuit and hopefully I'll do some thrifting that would make you proud!

Funky Finds said...

As if I needed yet another blog to read. You just had to post about this fabulous blog! ;) I really mean THANKS! LOL