8.28.2006

Featherstone Square Antique Mall & Collectibles - Annapolis, Maryland

I'm usually all about delayed gratification. I make sure that what I have to get done gets done before I allow myself to have fun. I even put off doing things that I love in favor of taking care of not-so-pressing issues, just for the sake of making my experiences of the things I love that much more savory when I get to them. But the Featherstone Square Antique Mall, where Barry and I stopped on our way home from Richmond yesterday, gave my attempt at delaying gratification a run for its money. Usually, when we stop by this particular mall, I browse around the hundred or so booths, drooling over the pyrex bowls, the vintage tablecloths and towels, the bakelite jewelry, and I think to myself, "I love this, I love that, but most things are too pricey." Not that the items in the mall are over-priced - I'm just cheap when it comes to buying things for myself. But yesterday, I didn't follow my usual pattern around the store. Uncharacteristically, I made a bee-line for my favorite vendor's stall. I always save her spot for the end of our visits, but something was calling me. This particular vendor has a selection that tells me we'd be friends if we lived in the same town (or, at least, our tastes would be friends), and the prices are right up my alley. She usually has things tagged between $1 and $7. So when I got to the booth and saw that the vendor was having a 50% sale on everything, I started shaking. I plopped myself down in the center of her booth and started digging (she has a pleasantly chaotic set-up). Here is just a sample of what I came up with:

table runner from Norway (in it's original, vintage packaging), plastic red tray with cup holder and snack section, red and black creamer (I can't get enough of those colors), two little bowls with a sweet light blue, silver, and black wheat image (that color combo is high on my favorite list, too), an old metal ashtray with an anchor (you should know about me and anchors by now), and an iron buffalo - in red

candle holders and a gorgeous ashtray (no, neither of us smoke)


an enamled pot and vintage Vera scarf


a box in which to store some desk items

We also picked up an enamled Knoll dish, a shaving mirror with some great, abstract-looking deterioration going on, a set of old wooden coasters from Puerto Rico, a retro kitchen towel, a red and white metal filing box (you know, for the store I'm gonna open some day...), and a mod, covered, grated cheese serving bowl from Italy. Whew!
After I finished at the greatest antique mall booth that ever existed, I found Barry, who had already made his way through the entire mall. The choice to jump right into gratification paid off - I would have freaked out if I had saved the booth for last and only had a few minutes to spend in it.
But don't worry. I've not totally given up on delayed gratification (which my mother will tell you, and I'll agree, is an important virture for people to practice). In fact, I practiced it this morning. I went grocery shopping in the rain - yuck - before I allowed myself to break out the Goo-Gone and unpack all of yesterday's purchases.

7 comments:

connie said...

you are the queen of thrift! this weekend, i tried my hardest, but I couldn't find anything worth buying. [well, there was a fun table, but i was like... 2 miles from home and without my buss pass]

mia said...

did you know that martha's/corona bakery is empty-with-for-rent-sign? just saying...

k. cooper said...

so many wonderful things! wow! and you have me giggling about the goo gone. i love getting home from thrifting and sitting down at the kitchen table to cut off tags, remove price stickers and survey the goods.
:)

erin said...

ok - that is some serious thrifting booty! I especially love the ashtray (no, i don't smoke either). enjoy your purchases!

cynic the lamb said...

Great finds! You have a great eye.

traci said...

this is amazing! how could i live so close and not know what i was missing. i wish i would have checked in sooner, would've invited you for a jaunt in baltimore. next time lady.

shoobydoo said...

Lovely finds...and your photos have such lovely composition